Application Timeframe is now closed. Stay tuned for 2022 information.
LOI APPLICATION DATES
JANUARY 6, 2021 Letters of Intent (LOI) Due Online by 5 p.m.
JANUARY 26 and 27 Review of Letters of Intent (Subcommittee)
JANUARY 28 and 29 Applicant acceptance/declination emails
FEBRUARY 5 and 9 Application Training
MARCH 2, 2021 Full Grant Applications Due Online by 5 p.m.
ELIGIBILITY TO APPLY
All of the following conditions must apply to be eligible for funding consideration. The organization:
- Is an incorporated nonprofit organization and has tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service code.
- Has a Board of Directors that is an active, representative voluntary governing body, with regular meetings and is responsible for developing its mission, determining its strategic direction and providing oversight. Has up-to-date, current bylaws, or guidelines, by which the organization operates.
- Can provide, when requested, a financial audit (if organization revenue is over $500,000), a financial review (if organization revenue is greater than $200,000 but less than $500,000) or a financial compilation (if organization revenue is below $200,000). Financial audit, review or compilation must be performed by an independent certified public accountant in compliance with generally accepted accounting standards as applied to non-profit organizations. (Note: revenue determination is from all sources except government grants and grants from private foundations).
- Files a current IRS form 990, including schedule A or 990 EZ, or can document the circumstances under which the 990 filing is waived.
- Serves one or more counties in United Way of the Central WV service area – Boone, Clay, Kanawha, Logan and Putnam counties.
- Has the mechanisms and capacity for regularly reporting measurable, qualitative and quantitative outcomes.
- Demonstrates reasonable efficiency in program management and adequacy of resources, both in materials and in personnel (voluntary and paid) to sustain a quality level of service.
- Submit Letter of Intent (LOI) and 501(c)(3) IRS determination letter by 5 p.m. January 6, 2021 online at https://unitedwaycwvgrant.communityforce.com Late or incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Each program may submit one Letter of Intent. A separate Letter of Intent must be completed for each program for which the organization is requesting funding.
- At least one United Way of Central WV outcome must be addressed.
- Programs that use evidence-based practices will be given higher preference.
- If this is a collaborative effort, the lead 501(c)(3) organization should complete the LOI.
- Minimum grant request is $5,000 and maximum is $50,000.
- Funding is not provided for: national or statewide proposals; agency operating costs not directly associated with a specific program; annual campaigns or membership drives; acquisition or expansion or real estate/building; capital expenditures.
- Eligible organizations proposing projects that are the most closely aligned with United Way of Central WV’s impact areas and outcomes will be invited to submit a full grant application. If invited, the full grant application will be due March 2, 2021 by 5 p.m.
- Citizens Review Teams, made up of trained community volunteers and donors, review all LOI’s and funding applications. The Citizens Review volunteers make funding recommendations to the UWCWV Board of Directors who are responsible for all final decisions. Funding announcements will be made in July of 2021 and funding will begin January 1, 2022.
- Organizations that are awarded grants are required to submit a six-month outcomes report and an end of year outcomes report and beneficiary data.