United Way Letter of Intent Application is Open for 2023!
Thank you for your interest in United Way funding. The United Way of Central West Virginia Letter of Intent application is now CLOSED for 2023! For questions or additional information, please contact Lisa Hudnall, Community Investment Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (304) 340-3521.
LOI APPLICATION DATES
DECEMBER 5, 2022 Letter of Intent Application Opens
JANUARY 5, 2023 Letter of Intent (LOI) Due Online by 5 p.m.
JANUARY 31, 2023 Applicant acceptance/declination emails sent
FEBRUARY 7 and 10 Application Training
MARCH 2, 2023 Full Grant Applications Due Online by 5 p.m.
ELIGIBILITY TO APPLY
All of the following conditions must apply to be eligible for funding consideration. The organization:
- Is an incorporated nonprofit organization and has tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service code.
- Has a Board of Directors that is an active, representative voluntary governing body, with regular meetings and is responsible for developing its mission, determining its strategic direction and providing oversight. Has up-to-date, current bylaws, or guidelines, by which the organization operates.
- Can provide, when requested, a current financial audit (if organization revenue is over $500,000), a financial review (if organization revenue is greater than $200,000 but less than $500,000) or a financial compilation (if organization revenue is below $200,000). Financial audit, review or compilation must be performed by an independent certified public accountant in compliance with generally accepted accounting standards as applied to non-profit organizations. (Note: revenue determination is from all sources except government grants and grants from private foundations).
- Files a current IRS form 990, including schedule A or 990 EZ, or can document the circumstances under which the 990 filing is waived.
- Serves one or more counties in United Way of the Central WV service area – Boone, Clay, Kanawha, Logan and Putnam counties.
- Has the mechanism and capacity for regularly reporting measurable, qualitative and quantitative outcomes.
- Demonstrates reasonable efficiency in program management and adequacy of resources, both in materials and in personnel (voluntary and paid) to sustain a quality level of service.
- Submit Letter of Intent (LOI) online form and 501(c)(3) IRS determination letter by January 5, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
- Each program may submit one Letter of Intent. A separate Letter of Intent must be completed for each program for which the organization is requesting funding.
- The program must address at least one United Way of Central WV outcome area of focus.
- Programs that use evidence-based practices will be given higher preference.
- If this is a collaborative effort, the lead 501(c)(3) organization should complete the LOI.
- Minimum grant request is $5,000 and maximum is $50,000. The grant request should match the program objectives and be reasonable and specific as to how the funding will be utilized. Additional sources of program funding are highly encouraged.
- Funding is not provided for: national or statewide proposals; agency operating costs not directly associated with a specific program; annual campaigns or membership drives; acquisition or expansion or real estate/building; capital expenditures.
- Eligible organizations proposing projects that are the most closely aligned with United Way of Central WV’s impact areas and outcomes will be invited to submit a full grant application. If invited, the full grant application will be due March 2, 2023 by 5 p.m.
- Citizens Review Teams, made up of trained community volunteers and donors, review all LOI’s and funding applications. The Citizens Review volunteers make funding recommendations to the UWCWV Board of Directors who are responsible for all final decisions. Funding announcements will be made in July of 2023 and funding will begin January 2024.
- Organizations awarded grant funding are required to sign a Memorandum of Agreement, submit six-month and year-end outcome reports, annual beneficiary data, and an impact story.